January 24, 2010

My Epic Day

After a night out for sushi with Andrea, Jessica, and Kelsey, Andrea decided that she was going to go for a bike ride in the morning. Thinking that it wouldn't hurt me to get on a bike either, I told her that I would go with. And so begins my EPIC day...

We were supposed to go at 9, but being Ecuadorian, Andrea was late. Which was fine, because my mom made my FAVORITE breakfast (tortillas and honey), and she didn't have it ready until about 9:15. So Andrea's tardiness didn't bother me.

Finally at 10, we leave on our bikes...and head down to one of the main streets (read: busy and not for bikes). I didn't really get why we were going to the most dangerous place to ride bikes until she told me about the "Ciclopolis". Every Sunday, the city blocks off 10 de Agosto (a HUGE main street that runs from the Northernmost point in Quito to the Southernmost) so that people can ride their bikes. And boy do they. There was probably 1,000,000 people out on that stretch of road today, and it was AWESOME. The city sets up free water stands and there are tons of vendors with ice cream and goodies, and then of course the weather here is awesome, so it makes for a really fun day.

Now to the impressive part: We rode from Kennedy (my neighborhood in the North) ALL THE WAY TO THE VIRGIN (which is in the center of the city). Any guesses how far it is?? SEVEN MILES. ONE WAY. So I rode FOURTEEN MILES on a bike today. And that number has been confirmed by not only my dad, but also Google Maps.

I am paying for it though, I can hardly sit down now and don't forsee myself feeling better tomorrow. But still, I did it...and it was awesome.

When I got home, we had lunch, which was nothing spectacular, but was good nonetheless. Then Kelsey and Jessica came over because we had to write our essay. We got a good start, but this is the most ridiculous assignment because they want us to analyze our topic in 3.5 pages of text. Which is impossible. We already have two just with the introduction and background on the topic.

After we finished for the day, we decided to make brownies. So we went to the store and bought chocolate and got to work. We failed to compensate for the altitude, but I have no idea what else went wrong because there is NO way that these brownies could have come out as bad as they did just because we didn't put in enough flour. I have no idea what we did wrong, but they were god awful. Epic fail. So instead we settled for animal crackers and nutella. Not as good, but it did the job.

Tonight I have a diario to write and then it's off to bed! Tomorrow we have a 1 1/2 hour lecture on how to write an essay (thanks, we're in college, we all know) and then free time to do it because we have presentations tomorrow. In English. Thank god.

1 comment:

  1. That bike ride sounds like soooo much fun! I am so jealous of your weather...I can't wait for summer! And by the way, I LOVE the new picture on your blog! My dad totally wants a pair of those cool alpaca chaps you're wearing...and I'm not kidding. You'll have to tell me how much they are so we can pay you for them :)
    Be safe and have fun!
    Love,
    J

    ReplyDelete